this blog is closing soon.... please follow me at www.heatherthomas.ca

Sunday, 20 March 2016

Life is Precious


“Be grateful for every second of every day that you get to spend with the people you love. 
Life is so very precious.” ~ Mandy Hale

Our community has suffered the loss of two souls in the same week, one a loving and kind University student and the other a passionate public health advocate. Though they hailed from different circles and different generations, the memorials held for these loving and generous people have reminded me once again of two very important things. The first being that life is precious and the second that each one of us has no idea of how wide and far we influence, impact and make a difference in the lives of others.

I am sitting here in my favorite spot on the couch, cozy and warm wrapped in soft blankets and shawls. My knees are pulled up under me as I sit cross-legged with a lap desk supporting my computer. I like working here. It feels good to have the sun shining through the window warming my skin, shining light on my thoughts and feelings. There is a cup of tea beside me, steam gently rising from one of my favorite earthenware mugs, a comforting aroma of green leaves and tropical fruit. It is a soothing tea, light and smooth, not at all bitter. I can still taste the hint of dark chocolate on my tongue from a piece enjoyed earlier, a perfect combination with the warm tea. It is an afternoon treat and an opportunity to pause with my thoughts.

Taking the time to savour that which I love is important. Mindfully enjoying each moment as it comes is something that I continually work towards. My thoughts sometimes seem like wild horses running everywhere in my mind. It is when I consciously make the choice to pause and notice what is happening around me, that I am able to enjoy the micro moments, the little things and the quiet whispers that come from within.

During the service today, I found myself thinking about my older son and how it would feel if instead it was he that had passed and it was our family that was grieving. My heart filled with love for him, for my younger son, for my husband and for our lives together. I felt that all familiar lumpy tightness in my throat and an ache in my heart so strong that it hurt for me to breathe. I can only imagine the strength it requires to live with the passing of a loved one, to move through the necessities of sharing the news, arranging memorials and disassembling the paperwork and possessions of their lives. It is something that no one wishes to experience and yet it is something that at some point all of us will be required to.

Today I will share time with my loved ones mindfully, savoring each moment as I do sitting in the sun or holding a steaming mug of tea. Today I will honor myself and those I love most by being mindful and present, by enjoying their unique traits and perspectives and by sharing in the light that shines from within. 

Life is precious. Pause. Take a breath. Savour the moment. 

Love and Light, 
Heather

__________


Heather Thomas is a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) specializing in CranioSacral Therapy and Healing from the Core/Full Body Presence Work. She is an Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (ERYT500) and the Directing Instructor for the Fort McMurray SOYA Yoga Teacher Training Program. She offers a number of different mentoring programs, classes and wellness opportunities. 



Website: www.heatherthomas.ca
Twitter: H3Connections
Facebook: H3Connections
Instagram: H3Connections